Friday, July 20, 2007

Cameras

I was flipping through the latest issue of "Governing" magazine (I need a hobby), and stumbled upon an intersting article regarding the use of cameras to aid law enforcement agencies across the United States. The article focused on Pheonix, AZ - a city that recently employed this techonolgy to apprehend a serial killer.

Although I am disappointed that there is a need for this, I strongly support Mayor Pawlowski's policy of purchasing and deploying cameras. There is a need for more cops and I of course will support efforts to increase our complement of officers. However we simply cannot afford to hire enough men and women to patrol every street corner and back alley. Recognizing this, using modern technology as a way to supplement our crime-prevention efforts makes sense to me.

Regardless of your opinion of security cameras, you may want to read the "Governing" article - it provides some insight into their use and effectiveness: http://www.governing.com/articles/7cameras.htm

2 comments:

michael molovinsky said...

mr. schweyer, one of my concerns is a pattern of modeling ourselves after much bigger cities. allentown reached 100,000 by 1928, now at 106,000, do we really need techniques employed by cities of well over 1 million? we recently sought a work-order system patterned after baltimore. i think at the end of the day, enhanced security can come only from more officers. as someone who grew up on catalina ave. i appreciated your photo section. good luck in november.

Peter Schweyer said...

Mr. Molovinsky -

Thank you for your comment. This is exactly what I had in mind when I started this blog - a conversation between concerned citizens, so thank you for your participation.

Regarding cameras, you should know that a number of smaller cities across PA are utilizing this technology to suppliment their police force. Recently, I had the opportunity to spend quite a bit of time with John Brenner, Mayor of York, at the Democratic Leadership Council's National Conversation. His City of roughly 40,000 is installing cameras and shot spotter for the same reason as we are in Allentown.

Regarding Catalina Avenue - let me say that the neighborhood is a real jewel of the City. My wife and I love it, and are more than happy with the setting that we chose to raise Sarah. What a great community!

Once again, thank you for you comment.